The Official Forums of Phantom Games Development
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TWM2 3.9.2 Preview
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good Evening PGD/T2 community,

If you haven't noticed as of recently, development has actually resumed on TWM2. The majority of this work has been focused on cleaning up the codebase and fixing some long present problems in the mod. These changes have addressed a good number of the sources of Unhandled Exceptions (UE's) that the code was triggering along with some silly logic errors that while would work under some circumstances, would appear in others.

While work has been moving along smoothly in regards to this bug hunt, I'm starting to wind down this patch (3.9.1) to get it closer to a suitable point of release. Then my attention is going to turn to 3.9.2, which is going to be a "content update" focused patch for TWM2. And while I haven't solidified everything I want to do here quite yet, I do have a general idea of a few things I'd like to hit. So let's introduce those here:

• Boosters: The "neat little" feature talked about back in the topic revealing officer ranks 10 - 15. These will be the first "consumable" items to enter TWM2, and will provide you with a temporary EXP boost of various amounts. These will drop from Bosses with a random chance.
  • Overpromotion: Right now, reaching the maximum rank in TWM2, which is Officer 15, Master Commander, unlocks the stat reset command which allows you to literally erase yourself from the TWM2 history book and start over. Instead of this, I am going to replace this system with a new overpromotion system that is similar to what is planned for Tactical Uprising, in which you will be able to complete three EXTREMELY hard challenges and then unlock the capability to rank up endlessly beyond the level cap.
  • New Operations: The 3.9.2 update will add the capability to run operations (Missions) on maps other than Flatland Big, so I figured I'd expand this out a bit by adding in some more operations for players to complete. Some will be easy, others, hard.
  • New Zombie Types: This has been talked about in the main server a few times recently, and there are some ideas floating around for some new zombie types to introduce
  • New Bosses: If you thought you saw all I was capable of, you don't know me... :)
  • Boss Arena Mode: A new system for fighting the bosses in TWM2. Right now, they are extremely bullet spongy OHK dishers, that while hilarious, are non-realistic from a FPS perspective. This new mode will add a alternate fight mode to some of the bosses in TWM2 and will involve mechanics to defeat. More details to come.
  • Proficiency: But for the legacy players who enjoy the current TWM2 boss experience, you haven't been forgotten! A brand new proficiency system is going to be added which will record stats during the fight and award you additional EXP and some of those new consumables for performing well during the fight (Minimal deaths, high damage input).
  • Persistent Challenges: Some of the mod's challenges are quite intensive in terms of completion goals (Looking at you, weapon commendations), and having these reset during officer promotion takes away the point of doing these, therefore some challenges will become persistent through officer promotion meaning you do it once, and it's done for good!
  • Guns Guns and More Guns: Need I say more?
  • Killstreaks: There are two guaranteed streaks coming, the LOAS and PulseStar. Others may be added later, we'll see..

Obviously this is just for fun at this point, and I've always enjoyed hopping on TWM2 when I don't feel like playing other games, so adding more to do will make the mod more entertaining and hopefully draw more interest.

Since this is more or less at this point just a hobby style project while I wait for my research desktop to finish running my model so I can continue work there, I don't anticipate anything groundbreaking or major to come out of this update, but if you have any small ideas you'd like me to consider. Feel free to drop them here.

Support Times: M-F 10:30AM - 5:00PM (Central US Time), Offline Sat & Sun
Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~

Post subject: Re: TWM2 3.9.2 Preview
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:37 am 
Private
Private

Nice, I'll be joining once in a while, but rarely because I just don't have the time. The new features sound good, especially the operations, consumables, and most, the boss arena mode. You have some really cool and hard to beat bosses and it would be nice to have an actual chance to fight them alone and without having to type commands to spawn them. I'm not asking you to make them easy, but just make them fair to fight and in a shorter timespan, because it takes too long.

I have an idea for TWM that I hope you'll like. Add an option in the vote menu, in construction, that enables Zombie Hordes. Every 2 or 4 minutes (random) some zombies would be spawned while you're constructing and just minding your business. If you're very high in the air on some platform that you built, the game should look for a few objects on/or near that platform that has LOS to you and spawn the zombies there, so they could be spawned inside a building in air, if you're there, but not too close to you. Zombies that don't move after 30 seconds are considered blocked and should be respawned somewhere lse.

There would be a high chance for the horde to be spawned close to you or far away, and depending on how many waves passed, a chance for tougher waves. After every 3 or 5 zombie waves (random), there should be a chance to spawn a boss instead of a horde, with toned down powers so it's manageable to kill him by yourself. Basically, a system that gives you something to do, automatically, in construction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:26 am 
Private
Private

You know, now that I think about it, this idea that I posted before shouldn't be implemented in construction. I noticed that what I want, to build just once in a while but also fight tough zombies, it called Horde 3, and it already exists. The problem is though, you can only build once in horde 3, at the beginning of the match. And even then, you have to waste a minute enabling and disabling pure building to be able to build or fight, depending on the situation.

What I'd like is a cooldown between horde 3 waves that automatically enables purebuilding and disables it again when another wave is spawned. And in that cooldown period, you'd have no waves spawning but just a time limit to build. As waves keep progressing, you should keep having another 20 seconds added to the time limit you have to build stuff. So first you start with the most, 5 minutes, then in wave 2, 20 secs, wave 3, 40 secs, wave 4, 1 minute, wave 5, 1 minute and 20 secs etc. (make it reach max 5 minutes by the end of wave 50) And also, you should be able to vote to start the wave right now through a vote, if you're done building. This and some bosses every few waves, would make horde 3 a great hybrid gamemode.

And to force you to not abuse some neat building to get no damage at all and to stop camping in general, every 1 or 3 minutes (random), during a zombie wave, an object would be spawned on the terrain at a random location not too far from you. You have to touch that object so the game checks that you're not camping too much. If you don't touch it, you start losing HP slowly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While I like the ideas presented here, I do hold one reservation on those lines.

Horde 3 itself when originally created (or Upgraded from Horde 2 if you want to say that instead) was built to focus on our builders in the Tribes 2 community who would team up to quickly and effectively deploy a building that would serve as a stronghold from which they would need to survive an invasion of enemy forces (Horde in TWM2 is a build and defend game mode), so the notion of stopping camping is essentially going against the whole idea of the mode itself.

As for the purebuild things, my guess is this is some bug you have found, as the mode is supposed to automatically enable and disable it during the initial build up time.

Beyond that, random zombie spawning is something I've looked at doing for a while now and I just haven't gone about doing this yet, I'll see what I can do for the next update in regards to this.

Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:47 am 
Private
Private

So the purpose of Horde 3 was a different one. I get it now, though I would've understood this faster if I played TWM in it's prime, which I didn't. Might I propose then exactly what I described, like Horde 3 with the modifications I last suggested, but in a different game mode, a different name? Only if wouldn't take a lot of time to do, obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PorkWings wrote:
So the purpose of Horde 3 was a different one. I get it now, though I would've understood this faster if I played TWM in it's prime, which I didn't. Might I propose then exactly what I described, like Horde 3 with the modifications I last suggested, but in a different game mode, a different name? Only if wouldn't take a lot of time to do, obviously.

We'll see, making a brand new horde style game mode that is balanced to non-base gameplay is something that might take a bit of work to do, but I'll definitely take a look.

Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~