Phantom Games Development

The Official Forums of Phantom Games Development
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Powers Crashes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:07 pm 
Private
Private

I wanted to play some Powers (LAN only version) again but I can't. Using either the same installation that I had before, that worked, or downloading it again or trying on different tribes installs, it still doesn't work. Here's what happens. It crashes one second after the match countdown begins.

I looked in the console and it was telling me that it can't find the function 'LoadUniversalRank' from scoremenucmds.cs, line 50. Then in the dedicated server console, it looked all I saw was a big increasing spam of text like this, "CLIENT: (NAME HERE) - SLOT - NUMBER." And the slot number kept increasing until the game crashed. I do not understand how this can happen on the same install with the same scripts and stuff as always, it worked fine before. Can you please help me with this? And I did search for the function and I can't find it, but it's not like you can find it if I download the mod again, it's still not there, and it did work before.

Post subject: Re: Powers Crashes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is very unusual behavior.

The function in question is located in UniversalSupport.cs (Line 167), and the LAN client should initialize the $PlayingOffline flag, which in turn should trigger the following check:

Code:
   if($playingOffline) {
      error("*PGD Connect: In Offline Mode, PGD Services are Inactive");
      %client.checkClientData();
      return 0;
   }

In terms of the slot number echoes, that's coming from the score menu:

Code:
      while(%client.slot(%i) != -1) {
         echo("CLIENT: "@%client.namebase@" - SLOT "@%i@": "@%client.slot(%i)@"");
         if(%client.slot(%i).class $= "Undecided") {
            messageClient( %client, 'SetLineHud', "", %tag, %index, "<a:gamelink\tSlotSel\t"@%i@">SLOT "@%i@"</a> - Open Slot");
            %index++;
         }
         else {
            messageClient( %client, 'SetLineHud', "", %tag, %index, "<a:gamelink\tSlotSel\t"@%i@">SLOT "@%i@"</a> - Lv."@%client.slot(%i).level@" "@%client.slot(%i).class@"");
            %index++;
         }
         %i++;
      }

Out of curiosity, how high are those numbers going? It should only go to 10 or 11 depending on the version of the mod.

Also, when the server initializes, can you check for any syntax errors being prompted, if so, can you post a copy of the file and specify the line number so I can take a peek?

Support Times: M-F 10:30AM - 5:00PM (Central US Time), Offline Sat & Sun
Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:05 pm 
Private
Private

The slot number goes up in the tens of thousands if I let it, or more. I searched for UniversalSupport.cs in my powersRPG folder, the mod folder, and I can't find it anywhere. It's not that I deleted it or something, my install is just the same as it was a few months ago, back when it was working. Even your downloaded file Powers_LANONLY.zip, doesn't have the universalsupport.cs script.

Could you please maybe give me, again, the latest powers version (without the PGD connect thing) that also includes universalsupport.cs? Maybe that would work.

Quote:
Also, when the server initializes, can you check for any syntax errors being prompted

I saw no syntax errors. The only error was "invalid script banlist.cs"

Quote:
can you post a copy of the file and specify the line number so I can take a peek?

I don't have universalsupport, I assume you are referring to that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Strange, I would imagine however that that file was removed from the LAN client as it only included functions that used the TCP connection interface between the game and the website here.

I do suppose however that if you're looking for a LAN-Only experience for the mod, you could just download the current GIT version of the mod and run it in a local setting without using PGD Connect. I should mention that I personally, have had some issues with the file system as of lately even though nothing has changed on the script side of the mod since the last update.

The only issue you may have trying to run the mod as a strict LAN only is that the game saves data based on a user's GUID (Account #), and a LAN client technically doesn't have an identifier. You'd need to change the system to use something like the player's name for instance in place of that.

You can find my personal GIT repository for Power's Mod here: https://github.com/Phantom139/Powers

Let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Edit:

A quick glance at dataSave.cs has me thinking that I actually did upload the offline version of Powers to GitHub there...

Support Times: M-F 10:30AM - 5:00PM (Central US Time), Offline Sat & Sun
Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:27 pm 
Private
Private

Does the online version have some variable to change to disable PGDconnect? I can't find it in Globals.cs. (edit: so that's also offline...?) I want to try this version because the lan one doesn't work anymore. Also when I'm playing, I usually host a dedicated server online and I join, and sometimes offline. I like not being required to have an internet connection to save the data.

I'm not sure if it's worth the headache of changing the name system though.