Phantom Games Development

The Official Forums of Phantom Games Development
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: LAN Only Client
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A member of the community asked me to put together a version of Powers Mod without the online interfaces for LAN Only Gameplay.

Done & Done. :)

Attachments:
Powers_LANONLY.zip [656.06 KiB]
Downloaded 127 times

Support Times: M-F 10:30AM - 5:00PM (Central US Time), Offline Sat & Sun
Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~

Post subject: Re: LAN Only Client
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:08 am 
Private
Private

I found myself playing Titan RPG for unreal tournament 2004 and then I remembered that this mod, Powers, existed for Tribes 2. So I wanted to create a server to play online and offline with bots when I get bored.

So I have a couple of questions:
1. Can you tell me how to activate the RPG mode? I've seen some quests scripts related to an rpg mode, I wonder how I play that.
2. Will you keep working on this mod? Add more things to spice up the hunters game when playing this?
3. Do you mind if I make a dedicated server of Powers from time to time?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey there, thanks for the interest in this mod. I can answer all of those questions for you.

1. There was originally planned to be a RPG-esque side-mode that could be played along side the standard PvP mode of the mod. This was unfortunately never completed as progress on it began right around the time that the original Master Servers for Tribes 2 went down. From that point forward, I kind of just moved to my other T2 mod projects and left this mod where it was.

2. I don't see myself working on this project at the current moment in time, as a full time Graduate student, most of my time is devoted to my work there, along with my course work. My remaining time is devoted to more social aspects with some of my friends. As for spicing up the Hunters game mode, there were plenty of "ideas" floating around and some of them made it into the actual game mode itself, they were as follows:

Features that made it in
  • Flag Jackpots: Randomized flag drops that occur in a random location on the map, the AI were just as interested in it as you.
  • Clan System: Allowed you to "team up" with your friends in the FFA mode.
  • AI Focusing: Thinking of getting tons of flags at a time? Well forget about it, because the AI were slightly altered to favor heavy "focusing" on the person with the most flags.

Features that were on the "drawing board"
  • Traps: One of the things I originally thought of at the time of the Jackpot system was a "false jackpot" that would lure in all of the AI and start a "bloodbath" that would be for nothing.
  • Nexus Phasing: Something that would have made this game even more crazy was the phasing idea, where the Nexus would at time phase out of the map preventing you from capturing any flags, this would have made it very tough for people going for the "high collection" bonuses as they would need to survive for an even longer period of time.

3. There are no requirements or permissions you need to obtain from me to host the mod, go for it!

I still pop into Tribes every once in a while, and I'll host one of my mods to play. Like with all of my projects, I would gladly come back to fix things up or add more content were the demand there for it, Powers was one of my more "favorite" mods to work on, namely because it's the smallest of my mods, but filled with tons of fun gameplay and action.

Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:39 pm 
Private
Private

It's really interesting to hear that the side-mode rpg thing was as old as the T2 master servers going down, too bad it wasn't completed. It could had been a fun thing to play online, or offline with bots, and have random missions to complete.

The flag jackpots in Powers really are a cool idea, it's always fun to see a huge load of flags and hurrying to steal them all hoping that no one will blast you away after you got them all, lol. And the AI focusing, yes, this is what I'm talking about, the AI should be more brutal towards humans especially if they have flags. I'd personally abandon any idea focusing on clans, or human vs human battles and focus more on bots versus humans. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm saying this because barely anyone plays mods anymore, so if you wanna join a server you should also have fun against bots until some human joins.

I was thinking that maybe, just maybe I wanna use your system of saving and loading data for a server. I want to add money when you kill bots, and use that money to purchase extra ammo, health kits, 50% damage boosts for a round, and all of that when you respawn. I'll give credit to you if I do that.

But anyway, Powers is a pretty cool mod. I like having these bot battles, saving my progress, and then leveling up. Way better than playing vanilla hunters. Too bad there aren't many good hunters maps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 am 
Private
Private

Powers mod for T2, Ironsphere RPG for T2, and Titan RPG for UT2k inspired me to make my own T2 RPG mod. Because I wanted to see how a simpler mod in the "tribes 2 classic" style would be, especially with smarter bots. That, and also because Powers LAN just didn't let me play due to crashing and I'm too lazy to modify it or learn how it works underneath.

It's because I had fun in Powers that I wanted to make my own thing, so I had to post again here to thank you, Phantom.

I looked at how lines were written and saved in files and how bot names and tags were updated in Powers because I'm unfamiliar with Torque, but I did not copy a single thing from your mod. I wrote my own stuff, and it took a while. I just wanted to say that I'm glad there's 2 RPG mods now, one with classes, powers, affinities, etc, and a vanilla one for when you feel like you want the t2 feel. And that it's great that you posted your scripts because someone made use of them in a way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's actually really cool.

Sorry about the Powers LAN thingy breaking, even I'm not sure what's wrong with that one, I've looked over the code and I'm not able to spot my own error here.

Let me know how it turns out in the long run, sounds like a lot of fun!

Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:59 am 
Private
Private

Thanks, Robert. So far it's pretty nice for a small modification. Badly written code because I just wanted to finish it fast, but it works and that's what matters. You'll see a thread on TN when I'm done with it.

As for Powers, it might just be what you told me back then. Failure for unknown reasons to get GUIDs, so what it would need to work properly is something that uses the nameBase, maybe.