The Official Forums of Phantom Games Development
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Torque 3D 4.0 and PGD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Everyone,

Long time no see around here. As you can imagine, being a full time Graduate Student takes a ton of your existing time and throws it into the vacuum of non-existence, which is what has happened to my time for working on projects such as Galactic 2D and other packs. However, many of you who work around Torque 3D have seen the news of the most recent release T3D v3.10, and news of the 4.0 update being handed out as well.

Many of you may also have noticed that the pack pages are down and have probably assumed that I have officially hung up my developer's coat for other things in life. While this is true to a small scale of extent, I have not stopped with my vision for PGD as a whole, but have made some minor changes to what I foresee from us in the future. I'll get to that in a short bit here, but let's talk about the near future for us.

After reading the plans for 4.0, I myself am now drawing some interest back into Torque 3D as many of the features they are working on will in my personal opinion revitalize and bring the engine "up to date" with other tech out there per say. And this is where I want to bring PGD back into the Torque scene. As I am not a member of the steering committee, I can not give any estimates on when T3D 4.0 is going to be released, but here's what I'm planning to do following the release:

1. MAP Update v. 3.0: The first thing I'm planning on doing is bringing our good old Multiplayer Assembly Package up to date for T3D v.4.0, this will probably come a month or two following the release of the new version of the engine. The goals for V.3.0 will be to deprecate out Crypto++ in favor of an in-house tech solution that will work directly with Torque 3D's engine classes. The goal here is to wipe out any remaining unknown access violations during the login/recovery processes through a full understanding of the start to finish blocks of code here. I'm also going to re-do the addons that came with MAP to bring these up to date.

2. Radar / AI Pack Updates: While these packs had some cool concepts behind them, they launched and then I never really touched them for lack of interest on the pack ideas. The goal for this update will be to bring some performance enhancements to the radar, and update the AI Lite packs which will complete the AFPSK updates.

3. Micro Updates: A few of the micro packs use some older Torque Code which according to the 4.0 news will become deprecated. The force field will be targeted primarily here as Player and ShapeBase are going away in favor of a new entity system which will allow us to make a ForceField object independent of other class changes.

Beyond that, I'm going to need to keep an eye on how far Torque 3D 4.0 goes, if things look favorable and we get a big time performance boost through updated systems, we may try out a small project to see what happens. All in all, I wanted to give an update.

So, where does that leave pack purchasing? In the short term, things will be offline as I will not be around to provide much assistance with those. Don't hesitate to shoot me an email or drop a line here though, I'll still check in here and now. Once 4.0 releases and I can get a steady timetable out there, I'll turn the pack purchases back online.

Support Times: M-F 10:30AM - 5:00PM (Central US Time), Offline Sat & Sun
Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:44 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Glad to have you back :D

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh right, I forgot to mention something here.

I'm thinking that instead of going back to square one and starting an entirely new project (Which while fun under an updated Torque, would be a bit time consuming), I'm going to go back to that PGD Survival project I made and give it a much needed facelift, including bugfixes, updates, upgrades, and yes, adding in those content expansions I talked about on those boards way back when.

Obviously, this will be a great way to test the internal implementations of the M.A.P. which will be coming in the next version update, so I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how that's coming along.

Support Times: M-F 10:30AM - 5:00PM (Central US Time), Offline Sat & Sun
Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~