Phantom Games Development

The Official Forums of Phantom Games Development
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PGD News: July 2014
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, as the end of July is approaching quickly, it's about time for a PGD News Update!

Most of this news article is going to be directed to our Game Engine, Galactic 2D, which in a few days will receive it's monthly topic update post, but, before that point arrives, there's some exciting news on the forefront of the engine itself.

So, back in January, when I first started posting G2D development topics, I posted a simple engine licensing scheme that would work similar to how Torque 3D originally worked with a selection of licenses that would offer different "code" packages. This whole notion, as you knew it, has officially been scrapped. Galactic 2D, to much excitement and official announcement, is moving to an open source, 100% free to use model.

All of the work that I had made on the engine over these past few months is now publicly available on a Github repository located here: https://github.com/PhantomGamesDevelopment/Galactic-2D

While this engine isn't in "any" state to run or develop games with yet, you can get a brief idea on the mindset of the engine, and how it's going to work. Many of you Torque veterans out there will see some "striking" familiarities to how certain engine aspects work between G2D and T2D/T3D, as a good portion of the codebase that currently is in place has been adapted and fixed up from Torque. Systems such as the Dynamic Array, Streams, Delegates, and Some Platform operations have been adapted, and updated for this new engine.

I hope you guys will at least have a quick "run-through" of the work that has been done so far, and if you catch any "bugs" or "issues", besides the obvious compiler errors from template code that has yet to be written, it would be greatly helpful to me to let me know, and if anyone out there is interested in helping out with the engine, just shoot me a message here or by email, and I'll get you hooked up with something to do.

There's still a few "major" implements left on the to-do list including completing the Cross Platform Framework, Creating the OpenGL / OpenAL systems and wiring the engine together, as well as a few bit of minor tasks, but all in all, progress is moving along very smoothly.

Other than the news topic of Galactic 2D, there isn't really much to discuss right now. There are no new planned projects or products from Phantom Games Development, besides the ones currently in progress.

Support Times: M-F 10:30AM - 5:00PM (Central US Time), Offline Sat & Sun
Follow Me on Twitter
~~~~